Friday, August 30, 2013

Quiet beginnings

The first full week of school is over already? It just sort of slid right by. I feel so relaxed and rested!

The week started out very quiet! It was so odd for me when the students walked in in the morning and took break barely making any noise at all! I found myself almost saying, "You can talk to each other." But then I figured I'd enjoy the quiet, and they'd eventually warm up and need to be reminded to be quiet. I was right. By the end of the week, there was much more chatter going on! :) But I have a feeling they'll continue to surprise me. Like today when I assigned a Math worksheet before break and said I'd give them time after break to work on it, but that it wouldn't be homework. "Can't we work on it during break?" they asked. Wow.

However, I was a little concerned when the first homework assignment was due on Wednesday and already 2 out of my 12 students didn't have it done! On the bright side, my new homework log was not made in vain!


I thought, "Oh boy, it must be time for the responsibility lesson." But since then, everyone has handed in their homework every day! They must be adjusting to third grade!

Although there's not so many crazy things happening in my classroom every day like last year (ergo the rested and relaxed state I'm in ;) ), the students still amuse me with random comments. When they found out I went to school with another teacher they know, one said, "I didn't know you go that far back!" And when another teacher walked into our room one day, someone said to her, "You look bigger than last year!" (She doesn't, by the way!)

I already received several encouraging notes from parents of my students. It's so amazing knowing that they are entrusting their children to me and that I have their support! So after this first wonderful week of school, I am just really looking forward to all that the year will bring and spending time with and getting to know each student in my small class!

1 comment:

  1. Hurray for having the first week in! That's how I'm feeling too. Glad it was a good one for you. :)

    ReplyDelete