Thursday, May 2, 2013

Strict substitutes & spelling test commentary

I think I need to take more days off. Not only did I go into school today feeling refreshed and re-energized, but my students happily reported to me that they were much better for the substitute than they are for me. And I know this is true, because all the students agreed. They were sure to tell me that everyone even followed along in their Reading books! Of course I was relieved to hear that they had a good day, but, honestly, I was a little exasperated too. "What do I have to do for you to behave like that for me?" I asked. They informed me that she was stricter. I asked for examples, and they told me phrases she said, such as "Eyeballs up here!" and "Zip the lips!" (I'm seriously loving this substitute!) So I thought I'd try out those phrases today. But they just looked at me and said, "No, it doesn't work for you." That may be due partly to the fact that I couldn't say it without laughing. Ah well. They were better for me today too, so the day apart seemed to do us all good.

One quick story from today, though. I gave them their spelling test, and one student graced us with an ongoing commentary. I just went with it today instead of trying to stop it.
"Crumb. The bird ate the crumb off the table."
"A picnic table?"
"Yes."
"Oh, okay."

"Knife. He cut the turkey with a knife."
Gasp. "Was it alive?!"
"No!"

"Wriggle. Don't wriggle in your chair."
"Well I don't know what it means, so I guess I don't do it." (He's perhaps the worst wriggler in the class.)

Tomorrow we're off on a field trip for another adventurous day, I'm sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment