Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Rules, teeth, & duct tape

Today I was not at school, and I could only pray that my cherubs cooperated for their substitute! There's no telling what went on. Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Earlier this week, I was reminding the class about the Golden Rule, which is posted in our room and is the basis for all our other rules. (They seem to be needing many reminders about that lately!) As I was talking, one boy blurted out, "What's the silver rule?" I ignored him and kept talking, only to hear him muttering, "And is there a bronze rule?" I pretended not to hear him, but maybe I should have used that as a teaching moment and we could've made up our own silver and bronze rules for the third grade. :)

At snack time one day, a girl walked up to me holding this tiny white piece in her hand and informed me it was part of her tooth. Greeeat.

A couple weeks ago I had a conversation with a boy about why it is not okay to put paper in your mouth in the middle of class (or any other time). I also had to remind him the other day that one of the school rules is no chewing gum. I'm pretty sure he didn't just forget, although he sure seemed surprised when I told him that. Anyway, yesterday I noticed him putting something in his mouth again, so I waited until after that class and pulled him aside.
I asked, "Were you eating paper in class?"
"No."
"Then what did you put in your mouth?"
"Duct tape."
"Duct tape?! Why would you put duct tape in your mouth?"
"Because I needed to throw it away, and you said I couldn't get out of my seat."

Sigh. My life will be so dull this summer. But right now I'm feeling ready for some dullness. :)

3 comments:

  1. I hope you don't mind when I comment because so many thoughts come to mind when I read your posts! :) Trust me, you're not the only one who preaches the Golden Rule. Should you ever create Silver and Bronze Rules, please share! And I have a paper eater in my class too. She knows when I give her the eyeball that she'd better head for the trashcan. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I've had more than one talk about eating (or rather NOT eating) paper with high school students this year! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha glad to know I'm not alone! And I love when you comment, Janelle!

    ReplyDelete