Wednesday, April 10, 2013

It's all worth it!

First week of warm weather + achievement testing = interesting dynamics in the classroom.

It's been a while since I've written. Some of the things that have been going on: a student taking a chomp out of a piece of paper during class (I stared in shock before I could tell him to stop!)... One student told me he wanted to change his seat. When I asked him why, he said it was because he smells a terrible smell sitting where he sits... I confronted a student who someone accused of throwing bits of paper at him. He admitted to throwing the paper, but when I asked if he was throwing it at the student, his response was, "No! Not at him, surely not at him!" Surely, huh?... One dear student came up to me at break time with his pad of paper and pencil and asked for his letter grade and percentage for Reading. He then proceeded to ask for every subject and told me that his dad helped him set up an Excel spreadsheet at home to help him keep track of his grades. (This makes me so happy!) Since then, he's continually asking if I counted this or that as a grade and what the percentage is... Today one boy's hands somehow got covered in black ink. (I do mean covered!) I really had no idea what to say, except, "I don't know what your mom is going to say!"

Last week, the chapel speaker had the students write thank you notes to their teachers. Those notes made my week (maybe my year)! Here are some of cute things they said:
Thank you for making learning fun. I like how much you put into work. 
Thank you for being nice to me and helping me.
I like that you give me time for me to do my work!
I'm glad you're my teacher. I love you very much!
I'll miss you next year.
Thank you for teaching us. We learn a lot each day. We try to do our best. We are glad we have you. I love you!
I tried not to be concerned at the few that said, "Thank you for teaching us everything we now!" :)

Even though I'm tired and feel a bit worn out and impatient somedays, these are the reasons it's all worth it! Love those kids!

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, I 'now' you're a wonderful teacher & I'm glad your students were an encouragement to you. Sometimes we need that! Here's a story for you: Last Friday while outside for gym class, a student admitted to me that she ate a stone because she "was hungry." I don't doubt her. Oh, the joys! :)

    ReplyDelete