Saturday, April 13, 2013

Who knows what goes on in a child's mind!

As a student I always liked achievement testing. (Is that weird?) And as a teacher, it's kind of a nice break from the usual routine. However, I think all of us were relieved when this week was over. After a whole week of testing, on Friday I was at my wit's end: 
  • There were still students making noises and trying to talk to others across the room during testing.
  • One student finished the Science section, which was 15 pages long, in less than 10 minutes. 
  • One student still didn't realize he wasn't supposed to get out of his seat and wander around the classroom in the middle of the test. 
(However, that was the minority. Most of the students did a really good job!)

What it comes down to is that sometimes, you just have no idea what is going on in a child's mind. For example, I had a student stay in at recess on Friday to finish some work. He kept making noises, no matter how many times I reminded him to be quiet, because the other student in the room was trying to concentrate.  Suddenly (still apparently not aware that he was not being quiet), he piped up, "It would be really funny if you would cry and tears would be streaming down your face and you wouldn't make any noise!" I found this amusing coming from the boy who makes constant noise, so I said, "Yeah, I'd like to see you do that." And he proceeded to pretend to cry, however, not surprisingly, he had a difficult time doing it without making any noise!

Oh my, I'd be so bored if it wasn't for these dear ones. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment