Sunday, March 17, 2013

A week's worth of stories

Last week seemed to be a bit of a blur. There were some difficult and challenging moments (as always), but as I think back over it, I have to smile...

The gym teacher made the students these really cool T-shirts for their volleyball tournament. This resulted in some interesting moments in class. Many of the students chose to change into their new T-shirts the day they got them, which was fine for the most part. However, throughout the day I had students constantly asking to go change into their T-shirts, or change back into their other shirts... And then there were the two boys that decided it would be funny to put their T-shirts on backwards, during class. And what to do with their other shirts? Well one boy decided to wrap it around his head.

We also had some issues with the bathroom passes this week. (They put the pass on their desks so I know where they are instead of taking the passes to the germy bathroom!) The boys' pass was missing for a day, but I figured it would turn up eventually. Finally when it became an issue, I stopped in the middle of class to ask them if anyone knew where it was. I got an answer I wasn't expecting... Yes, one boy knew where it was. Somehow it had gotten into his backpack and he had taken it home the night before. Later that same day, the girls' pass was missing, and when I asked where it was, one of the boys piped up, with a completely serious voice and face, "Maybe it's in someone's backpack." That made me laugh even though I'm still not sure if he meant it as a joke!

At break time, the snack battles continue. One day one boy put something in the microwave. It's not usually necessary to microwave a snack, so I asked him what he was microwaving. He brought a plastic cup with a brown lump over to me, explaining, "Look, Miss Weaver, I microwaved my Snickers bar to change it from a solid to a liquid." Well, I'm glad he's been paying attention in Science class, but for the rest of the morning the classroom smelled like melted plastic and burnt Snickers.

On Wednesday morning, the chapel speaker shared an acronym, and one of the words he used was "necessary." I'm not sure if this is what sparked this one girl's use of the word or not, but later that day she brought me one of her papers and said, "Is this necessary?" I looked at it, but I didn't understand what she was asking. She repeated the question. I said, "Do you know what necessary means?" "No... I mean, is it good?" So I explained to her the meaning... hopefully she'll try using it again. :)

I had to leave early Friday afternoon for a doctor appointment, so all the students were waving and saying goodbye, and just before I went out the door, one boy called, "I'm glad you're leaving!" I didn't take him too seriously considering this was the same boy who earlier that week gave me bunny ears and openly admitted to me it was because he wanted attention.

Even though I'm never sure I have enough energy for the coming week, I'm not ready for the school year to be over yet. These students keep my life interesting!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment