Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Teaching: Work & entertainment

Third graders are funny. You can't spend a day with them without laughing about something they say or do. (Or at least I can't!) I love that they keep me entertained. One boy was making balloon animals during lunch yesterday for Show and Tell. :)

Here's some inventive spelling from one girl's paper. (It took her at least 2 weeks longer than the rest of the class to finish the assignment, so I was just happy it was finished!)
poseches (possessions)
tuns of stuff
give money to the pore
and my favorite:
a fyou other people

And, oh the boys. Where do I start?

Yesterday I had the class "writing" big cursive letters in the air. I tried to stop the sound effects coming from all corners of the room, but it was impossible. Noises just automatically come out of their mouths, and sometimes they honestly can't help it. However, the gobbling during class today did have to stop.

Today during Social Studies I read a book to them about the first indigo plantation in South Carolina. It described the process, explaining that the plants were put into large tubs with water and other natural materials, including urine. (You can see where this is going, I'm sure.) I should have just skipped over that or kept reading without pausing. But not completely taking into account my audience, I explained that it meant "pee" and tried to keep reading. Well, they just couldn't quite process this. I may as well have just ended the lesson right then and there, because all they could think and talk about was the urine. One girl kept her hand raised for 5 minutes while I was reading, and when I finally called on her it was to say that they use that word in the hospital. She heard a nurse say it. An hour after Social Studies was over, one boy told me that (if you had lived on an indigo plantation) if you had to go to the bathroom, you could just go right in the indigo tub. (Spoken like a boy.) And another one asked, "So our jeans are dyed with pee? That's what you said!" I wish I could hear their answers when their parents ask, "What did you learn in school today?"

No comments:

Post a Comment