Thursday, February 14, 2013

Lunch prayers and Valentine love

There’s one in every class: a student who loves to be the center of attention. Thrives on it. (Unlike those of us who in every college class sat in the third row off to the side, so as to blend in and not draw attention to ourselves.) I may happen to have more than one of those students this year, but one who especially seeks the spotlight. Let’s call him Bobby. We'll get back to Bobby later.

The class marble jar was looking sadly empty, so a few weeks ago I realized they needed some motivation - they earn marbles for good behavior, and when the marble jar is full, they can have a reward. So I made a deal with them that once they filled it halfway, they could choose a reward. They made it, and the reward they chose was a pizza party, which I decided would be nice for Valentine's Day. (Whenever I had to take marbles out, I threatened to take away the pizza party if the marbles went below halfway. Today after lunch I overheard a student say, "She can't take away our pizza party anymore!")

I just finished reading a book to the class about a 3-year-old boy who didn't want to eat. His dad got tired of it and said, "Eat it or wear it." This phrase caught on with my third graders.

Which brings us back to Bobby. His prayer for lunch went something like this: "Dear God, please help us not to eat too much candy so we don't get sick on the tummy. And keep the pizza safe and help it to get here so we can eat it and not wear it."

At the sound of Bobby’s “Amen,” the class erupted into giggles. I looked at Bobby with what I hope was a serious face and asked, “Were you trying to entertain God, Bobby? I hope you weren't trying to entertain the class, because praying is about speaking to God and focusing on Him.” He didn't say anything. I think he got the point. :)

I remember loving Valentine's Day as a student, and so I love to make it special for my students. Our Valentine holders were bursting at the seams this morning!




I received many special gifts - cards, candy, a bag of chocolates, a Hershey's XOXO bar, a pink bucket with puppy chow inside, a card that said "Dear Ms. Weaver, I will try to be good all year." But perhaps the sweetest thing I got today was a homemade, 3-foot high, pink paper heart:


It's nice to know you're loved, isn't it? So much of Valentine's Day is associated with romantic love, but I'm not letting my singleness keep me from enjoying the day! I'm so thankful for my students, family, and friends who love me. I am truly blessed. And most of all, I'm basking in God's love for me and thanking him that it is enough. More than enough. I'm overwhelmed and humbled by his love for me. Song of Solomon 8:7 says this:

Many waters cannot quench love,
Nor can the floods drown it.
If a man would give for love
All the wealth of his house,
It would be utterly despised.

I hope you're basking in His love too. :) Happy Valentine's Day!

3 comments:

  1. I have tears in my eyes from laughing! Your stories are even better written than verbal. :) That said, don't stop telling me stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder on the "singleness" business :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to read this and the last post again because it was so entertaining! And such a good reminder, too. :) A 3-foot heart is pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete