Friday, May 5, 2017

Three more Fridays

I don't even know where to start. Today was the fourth to last Friday of the school year. (Yes, I'm counting. Everyone's counting.) The day started with students exclaiming over ALL THE ANTS crawling out of a student's BACKPACK. Later in the day, one girl came and quietly informed me about all the ants (as if I hadn't heard the loud clamor in the morning).  For the record, I only saw one ant.

One student handed in his spelling test folded up in a little square.

In reading class, when asked to write a description of someone they know, one boy wrote about Donald Trump (duck face, weird hair) and another wrote about "the bane of his existence" (or, um, "the bain of my egsistance").

A few weeks ago (since I've been slacking on the writing), we learned about King Josiah in Bible class. The students wrote about what they would change if they were in charge of the country. Most students wrote about getting rid of drugs, taking care of the homeless, and treating everyone fairly. However, there were a few more creative responses:
  • "Make the boys go to school and make sure all schools had a swimming pool."
  • "I would look after my people. Boys can’t go in girls’ rooms. Girls can’t go in boys’ rooms." 
  • "Sit and do nothing and read Flat Stanley and color."
Personally, I'm with the last student. Doesn't that sound nice? Sit and do nothing and read and color.

If I hadn't recorded it, I never would have remembered this conversation, but it's just an example of one of the many typical conversations I have on an average day:
Me: “Is there a reason you two boys were crouching in the corner instead of standing in line?”
Student A: “I don’t know.”
Student B: *Shrugs shoulders*
Student A: “Well, one reason is because it’s warm.”
Me: “Would you rather crouch in the warm corner than go to recess?”
Students: “No.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment