Monday, June 2, 2014

Sweet goodbyes

I think I was just as ready for summer this year as my students.

But they almost made me cry today. They were so sweet.

They were talking about how the year flies by when they have a teacher they really like. Just to clarify, I asked, "So... did the year go fast or slow?" They assured me it went fast. For me, too. Looking back over my blog posts, just about every month, I made a comment about the year going by so fast!

I gave the students individual certificates of appreciation, and at the end, had them all clap one more time for each other. One student (the "class conversationalist") then piped up, "Let's give Miss Weaver a round of applause for being a great teacher!" They did, and I smiled and thanked them uncomfortably. But it is extra nice to be appreciated.

One boy told me he wishes he could fail third grade so he could come back next year. I also received a phone call, an email, and several cards from parents expressing their appreciation.

We ended our year by praying together. It blessed my heart to hear them thanking God for their friendships and for the good year they had in third grade and praying for a good year next year, especially as some classmates won't be returning.

Once again, I'm feeling a little sad at having to say goodbye to another group of great kids. But sad goodbyes mean that you made meaningful connections, and so I'm thankful.

We also took a moment to share what we're looking forward to about next year. Many students are looking forward to getting to know their new teacher, learning new things, and getting to sit in the bathtub which is in the fourth grade classroom. :) And I'm looking forward to the challenge of having a class double the size of this year's class.

But first... let's all have an enjoyable, relaxing summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment