Monday, August 17, 2020

Goodbye school, hello motherhood

This is the first year since I was five years old that I am not going to school this fall, as a student or a teacher. (Elementary school, middle and high school, college, substitute teaching, and finally teaching third grade for 10 years.) I can't quite articulate my feelings about that. I don't think I ever fully processed the end of that season of my life. Last spring was a whirlwind of teaching from home and then giving birth to my son a month before his due date. 

Sometimes I smile at how much my life has changed in such a short amount of time. Like when I see three pacifiers on my nightstand. Or when I consider it an accomplishment to shower. Or when I wonder what I was thinking to try to do a couple loads of laundry AND cook supper, all in one day. Or when a smile brings tears to my eyes. 

Now hearing about teachers preparing for another school year makes me miss it and almost wish I was going back. But I have the very best reason to stay at home. 

While in some ways I mourn the end of a season, I am also reveling in this new season. While part of me feels sad, I also choose to be present and to enjoy God's many blessings in this moment. Will I someday be a full-time teacher again? I don't know, and I'm thankful that I don't know what the future holds. If I knew, I would probably worry with dread or eagerly anticipate the future, both of which would cause me to miss out on the present season, which is a gift. 

For fun, I will leave you with some student stories that, in the craziness of the past couple years, I never shared. 

Words said to me, by a student: 
“I brought my lunch to school, but it’s not here.” 

Words said by me, to students: 
“Whoever is quacking, stop.” 
“Why did you bring a latex glove to school?” (This was before pandemic days. Now, that probably wouldn't be such a weird question!)

Student responses to the question "What problem do you have?" on a workbook page. (Again, pre-pandemic days, and I told them it could be a big or small problem.)
    I don’t like vegetables. 
    I have to set the table. 
    In the summer my parents said I have to read some days. 
    I sweat when I am nervous.

Same question, this time after distance learning had begun: 
    This coronavirus started up all of a sudden. I let it just do what it did and was thankful I got time with my family. 

Soon after the school year began, I asked them to share the hardest part of school: 
    Math is surprisingly hard this year.
    Having to get up early
    No swimming
    Definitely math

One day during science, we read that all living things reproduce. One student raised her hand and stated, “Technically only ladies have babies.” I replied, “It takes both males and females to reproduce,” and immediately regretted it and wondered what can of worms I had just opened and what kinds of emails I would be getting from parents that night. Another dear student raised his hand, and I was amused and relieved that instead of a question, he simply said, “That’s usually true. Except for some forms of algae…”

Finally, some similes about moms:
My mom is as nice as soft spread butter. 
My mom is as nice as a dolphin. 
My mom is as a nice as a pillow. 
My mom is as caring as a hug.
My mom is as busy as a business lady.
My mom is as helpful as a seeing eye dog.
My mom is as caring as a tree.
My mom is as busy as school.
My mom is as helpful as a pack of sled dogs.
My mom is as smart as turkey.
My mom is as smart as a smartphone.
My mom is as helpful as rain to the garden.
My mom is as nice as pie.
My mom is as nice as my grandma.
My mom is as funny as my dad. 

Boy, I sure will miss my third graders! 

No comments:

Post a Comment