Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Eureka, the Trinity, and broken stopwatches

We're already almost a quarter of the way through the school year, and I just realized I haven't written any blog posts!

My current group of kids is full of life, energy, questions, and information!

One day I wrote "Eureka!" on the board in preparation for our social studies lesson. (In Greek, eureka means "I have found it.") Before we even began social studies, one boy raised his hand and asked, "Why did you write, 'I found it,' in Greek on the board?"

Typing this reminds me of questions that were asked while practicing Bible memory.
    "What are those curved lines there for?" (She meant the parentheses.)
    "Why are there three quotation marks?"
    "If Jesus died on earth, how could God be in heaven at the same time if Jesus is God?"
(This launched us into a discussion of the Trinity.... mainly, me inadequately trying to explain what I myself can't really comprehend.)

One boy proudly showed me his dead praying mantis that he found while at recess. He thought we could use it for a science experiment. I suggested he could stop waving it in my face, put it safely in a plastic bag, and take it home for his own science experiment.

Another boy was slightly appalled that I threw out a cheap stopwatch just because it wasn't working, and probably all it needed was a new battery. Since I got the stopwatch for free, I wasn't about to spend money on a battery, so I agreeably dug it out of the trashcan and gave it to him to take home. The next school day, he appeared at my desk proudly showing me a working stopwatch. He only had to fix two wires that were disconnected and buy a new battery. Since then, I've often seen him wearing it around his neck. I think he's also testing it to see how long the battery lasts. Now I see it's tucked safely in his desk.


Needless to say, my class sure is keeping me on my toes!

No comments:

Post a Comment