Thursday, January 19, 2017

Reflections & dreams

We are over halfway through the year, and I asked my students to reflect and to write in their journals about what they like and don't like about school and what they would change if they were the teacher. These are some of their responses:

"I like lunch because I eat."

"I dislike math and Spanish because Spanish makes my eyes hurt and math makes my head hurt."

"I don't like Spanish because I think knowing one language is good enough." 

"I like everything about school because school is a place where you can start a great future for yourself."

Since Monday was Martin Luther King Jr. Day, we read some books and talked about his dream. I asked students to write about dreams that they have. The responses varied greatly. Dreams included having lots of puppies, getting more American Girl dolls, getting to World 7 on Mario Brothers, becoming a Lego builder, being a principal, being a runner in the Olympics, being a motocross winner like Jonny Walker, and being "a police." One student dreams of becoming an artist and painting the Eiffel Tower "and all other famous places," as well as animals in Canada. One student wrote about an actual dream he had and ended by saying, "Then I woke up." Here are a few more excerpts:

“I want to become a rich millionaire and give money to poor people. I would also like to invent time travel. And end world hunger. I would also like to save all animals who want to be adopted. And I would stop animal cruelty.” 

“I want to go to college for football. I want to quit school now.” 

“I have a dream to be a mom. I had good training from my mom. You don’t have to go to college. To raise money I will do jobs like a waitress or a cashier. I think it’s the best job in the world.” 

“I hope to be as good as a teacher like Miss Weaver”

“I dream that I could be a teacher. Because they get lots of gifts… I think it would be easy to be a teacher." 
(She went on to ask me if it is, in fact, easy.)


No comments:

Post a Comment