Friday, December 18, 2015

BFFs, yogurt discussions, and candy bar prayers

The main thing I love about my job is, of course, the kids. This is why I write. You can't make this stuff up. 

(I know some of you saw my Facebook post about this, so sorry for the repetitiveness.) The class was completing a Bible worksheet about David and Jonathan, and I decided we should answer some of the questions together. One of the questions was, "What did David and Jonathan promise each other?" The answer I wrote on the board for them to copy was, "They and their descendants would always be friends." Later, when I was grading the papers, I read this one boy's answer and burst out laughing: "BFF and descendants BFF." I would expect something like that from some of the girls, but because it was a boy made it that much funnier to me. 

One day during break time I overheard one of the boys saying, "I wonder why I'm always surrounded by girls." 

I was telling my class about a little boy I know who needed brain surgery. One girl raised her hand and asked, "Was it Ben Carson who did his surgery?" 

For language class, we finished a chapter on action verbs, and the students have been completing different activities to reinforce their knowledge. At least, that was my plan. As one of the girls was leading the class in Simon Says, I reminded her to use action verbs. She looked at me and asked, "What are verbs?" 

In science class, we've been discussing characteristics of living things and the difference between living and nonliving things. Today I overheard this conversation at lunch:
"Yogurt is a living thing!"
"No, it's not! Why isn't it moving?"
"Wouldn't it be funny if it was moving around in the trash can?"
"No, it's alive inside the yogurt."
"That's weird."
"Who told you that?"
"You should ask Miss Weaver." 
(I was not about to jump in and offer my limited knowledge about live cultures.)
"YouTube would tell you!"
...
"Miss Weaver?" 
But by far my favorite part of the week was listening to my students pray. This year our school collected candy bars to give to inmates in a local prison for a Christmas project.

We spent some time praying this week during the times that the chaplain would be handing out the candy bars. These were some of the prayers that made me get all teary eyed: 
"Let them know that someone loves them, even if they've been bad. None of us are perfect."
"Help them to know You love them no matter if they're good or bad."
"Tell them that we love them." 
Today when they heard that the candy bars were successfully handed out and that the men were amazed that someone cared enough to buy them something, the students excitedly exclaimed, "Our prayers worked!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment