Saturday, March 21, 2015

Childlike simplicity

We can probably all use a dose of good, childlike simplicity from time to time. 

A couple of days ago, I was reading a story with the class, and it said a man "lost his bearings." Just to make sure they understood what happened, I asked what it meant. I soon realized they had no idea. They thought it meant he lost all his stuff, or that he lost his common sense, or that he got really mad. 

A conversation I overheard: 
Girl: My mom is pregnant!
Boy: When is her due date?
Girl: I don’t know… It’s either a boy or a girl.

A couple of days before the first day of spring, I asked the students to write in their journals. 

How can you tell spring is almost here?
“I know spring is almost here because I saw it on the calendar.”

What is your least favorite part about spring? 
“Parents and teachers make you keep coats on when it’s warm. :(”

“I’m tired of snow but I still want a blizzard this year.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment